Recently we inducted a group of college graduates into our team. My colleague Rahul and I were asked to give them few sessions or oracle performance engineering. Once we were done with the training our managers asked us to evaluate their performance by checking how they approach and solve some basic performance issues.
We realized that they need oracle databases to be installed on their individual PCs to simulate and solve these performance issues. But it was not practical for us to go and install a database in each one of their machines, so we created a PPT to show them how to download and install oracle 11g express edition on their desktops.
Here is a step by step process of installing oracle 11g R2 express edition from OTN with screenshots. Before going to install this version we need to know what oracle 11g Express edition is and what features are available. Oracle has a detailed documentation on this in their website and I will point some important points you should know in the flowing paragraphs.
Oracle Database 11g Express Edition (Oracle Database XE) is an entry-level, small-footprint database based on the Oracle Database 11g Release 2 code base. It’s free to develop, deploy, and distribute; fast to download; and simple to administer.
With respect to growing needs for storage, Oracle Database 11g XE now offers a full 11GBfor user data alone, which is almost threefold increase since previous 4GB limit in Oracle Database 10g XE. Other hardware restrictions remain the same with CPU usage capped at one physical core and memory at 1GB.
1. Go to Oracle Technology Network (OTN) website http://www.otn.oracle.com. Log in if you already has an account or create a new account.
2. Go to downloads tab and click on database menu. You will find a submenu titled as “Database 11g Express Edition”, click on it.
3. Accept the license agreement and download the version according to the version of OS you have. Here we downloaded the windows 32 bit version.
4. Once the download is completed, unzip the file and double click/right click on the setup.msi file and run it as administrator.
5. After launching the setup.msi file, you see the Install Shield wizard screen while the file loads, like this
6. Click the Next button to start the installation.
7. The second dialog box is the license information. Click the I accept the terms in the license agreement and then the Next button.
8. The third dialog box asks where you want to install the software or provide an override location. If you accept the default location, click the Next button to continue.
9. The fourth dialog box lets you specify the TNS, MTS, and HTTP Ports.
10. The fifth dialog box lets you enter the password for the SYS and SYSTEM users.
11. The sixth dialog box lets you see the configuration options you’ve chosen. If you are okay with click next.
12. The seventh dialog box lets you see the progress of your installation.
13. The last dialog box lets you see that you’ve installed the product. Click the Finish button to complete the installation.
14. You’ve now installed Oracle Database 11g Express Edition. You can start the command line by typing sqlplus system/password in command shell or the Get Started option in your Program Menus, as shown below.
15. You should see this console when you launch Get Started page.
16. Now you can navigate to the screens you want and start to work on oracle !!